Glendale Fire Department employees are highly skilled and trained professionals dedicated to creating a better quality of life for its residents. They demonstrate the highest standards of honesty and integrity and believe in and practice teamwork and open communication.
The department values all employees, striving to develop mutual respect and trust, while treating each other with dignity and fairness.
Glendale Fire is a fully integrated fire service dedicated to ensuring the safety and welfare of its citizens.
Careers within the Fire Department
- Minimum Age of 18 years by application end date.
- Arizona residency at the time of appointment of hire
- High school diploma or G.E.D. by application end date.
- Arizona Emergency Medical Technician certification at time of hire
- Must successfully pass the conditional hiring process, which includes a background check, drug testing and a medical physical administered by a fire department physician to be eligible for the academy.
- Must successfully complete 12-week firefighter training academy and field rotation to become a firefighter
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as a commitment to serve others are important
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
Glendale Fire Department requires that all firefighter recruits have passed a Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) by the date set for any recruitment process. Currently Glendale Fire Department does not host a CPAT. Interested applicants are encouraged to enroll in a local CPAT process.
Restrictions: Glendale Fire Department currently only recognizes CPAT’s from agencies in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. This would include area fire departments, National Testing Network, or through the Maricopa County Community College District.
If you have never taken a CPAT, need to renew or need to retake a CPAT due to failure: Glendale Fire Department encourages applicants to participate in programs offered by fire departments, National Testing Network, or through the Maricopa County Community College District.
Assignments and Promotions
Glendale firefighters have the opportunity to develop skills in a variety of technical service including:
- Hazardous Materials Technician
- Technical Rescue Technician
- Recruit Training Officer
- Safety Officer
- Health Center Technician
- Bicycle Paramedic
- Community Relations Captain
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Captain
- Training Division Captain
- Special Events Captain
- Special Operations Captain
All qualified Glendale firefighters have the opportunity to advance to positions of greater responsibility:
- Battalion Chief/Division Chief
- Deputy Chief
- Assistant Chief