Open sunrise to sunset.
This neighborhood park is just over 4 acres and is located on Northern Avenue. The parking lot is on the west side of 51st Avenue just south of the businesses at Northern Avenue.
Built in 1897 by a wealthy lumber baron from Wisconsin named Herbert W. Hamilton, Manistee Ranch began as a 320-acre spread along what is now Northern Avenue. Hamilton sold the place to Louis M. Sands, a prominent Arizona businessman and rancher, in 1907, and it stayed in the Sands family until it was sold to the Glendale Historical Society in 1996.
Today the ranch is on the National Register of Historic Places, and its four buildings – a garage, office, barn and house – can be visited by anyone who wants to get a little taste of Glendale history.
Guests will be treated to a home decorated in antique furnishings that are original to the home or that were collected from within the city. The basement houses a collection of photographs, Glendale grammar school items and old farm equipment that was used on the ranch. The farm equipment was utilized mainly to harvest feed for the livestock, which included cattle, sheep, horses, ducks and chickens.
The Sands family also grew citrus and dates on the ranch. In the 1920’s workers would harvest the dates and store them in a date house next to the rose arbor. The dates were then sold for 25¢ a pound. Today, the ranch is home to 11 different species of palm trees including Hayany, Bent Kebella, Medjoul, Braim, Barhe, Zadhi, Maktoom and Deglet Noor, to name a few. The date grove has been turned into a garden by the City of Glendale, where visitors can sit and meditate among the palms, some of which are more than 100 years old.
And Manistee’s owners were not just ranchers. Through the years, the Sands family made significant contributions to the city. Before World War II, they were the largest employer in the city. And after World War II, they leased a portion of the ranch’s acreage for Glendale’s first mall – Valley West Mall,
To see the historic ranch firsthand, take a tour on the first or third Saturday of the month. Tours run about an hour and a half between the hours of noon and 3 p.m., October through May (by appointment only). The ranch is located at 5127 W. Northern Ave. For more information or to schedule a tour, call the ranch at 623-931-8848 or the Glendale Historical Society at 623-435-0072.