City of Glendale, AZ - Click here to go to the city home page

Skip Navigation Link

        Follow Your Money   RequestForService
Glendale, AZ
Glendale, AZ - Departments Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Services Glendale, AZ - Glendale, AZ - City Officials Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Residents Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Visitors Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Businesses Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Online Services Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Important Updates Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Home Page
Glendale, AZ

Glendale, AZ - Court
Quick Links
Annual Report (pdf)
Bail and Bonds
Child Seat Classes
Civil Court
Court Records
Courtroom Standards
Criminal Court
Driving School
Domestic Violence Information
Información sobre la Violencia Doméstica
Formularios De La Corte En Espanol
Guilty/No Contest Plea by Mail
Jail Info
Jury Duty
Language Access Plan
Idioma Acceso Plan
Public Defenders
Public Records Request
Mental Health Court
Motor Carrier Traffic Violation Fees
Traffic & Parking Violation Hearings
Victim Services
Contact Information
google search

Page Break Image

Court - Orders of Protection

What Is an Order of Protection? | How to File | What is a Domestic Violence Crime?
Serving an Order of Protection

Petitions Heard
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Monday - Friday (except holidays)
In an emergency situation call 9-1-1

What is an order of protection?

An Order of Protection is requested when seeking protection against:

  • a spouse or former spouse
  • person of the same or opposite sex with whom you live or lived
  • person with whom you are expecting a child, or with whom you have a child in common
  • your relative
  • a person with whom you have a romantic or sexual relationship now or in the past.

In addition, a domestic violence crime has to have been committed. If both do not apply, then you would file an Inunction Against Harassment. A petition and guidesheet must be filed, followed by an appearance before a Judge. If the Judge finds that the defendant may commit or has committed an act of domestic violence, the Judge can issue an order:

  • Ordering one party not to commit acts of domestic violence
  • Granting one party exclusive use of residence
  • Preventing one party from coming near residence, place of employment or school of the other party
  • And any other relief necessary for protection

An Order can prohibit weapons and after a hearing order the defendant to obtain counseling.
The Judge DOES NOT have the authority to order parties to resolve property disputes, or fashion an Order of Protection affecting any visitation rights. The Judge does not have authority to render child custody orders. THESE TYPES OF RELIEF ARE APPROPRIATE FOR REVIEW BY THE SUPERIOR COURT.

How do I file for a protective order?

You must fill out the paperwork given to you by the Clerk at the court at 5711 W. Glendale Avenue. An order can only be issued against one person . Each person you want to file against requires a separate petition.

You MUST provide the court with:

  • The defendant's name.
  • A list of all acts of domestic violence or harassment that the defendant has committed within the past year. (The 1-year requirement may be waived if the defendant is out of state, incarcerated, or good cause is shown.)
  • Your address and phone number so we can contact you if the defendant requests a hearing. (Upon request, this information will be withheld from the defendant.)
  • An address at which the defendant can be legally served with the court's order.

Remember - you can request an Order of Protection without the address -- BUT IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE UNTIL THE DEFENDANT IS SERVED. You should tell this court if there are any other court proceedings regarding the defendant's conduct toward you or any other orders in effect. It does not matter if the court proceedings are going on now, or if they happened in the past, this court should be told about all of them.

After you complete the paperwork, you will be scheduled before a Judge who will review your petition. This appearance is usually on the same day.

For Order of Protection:

  • Click here for the petition for an order of protection.
  • Click here for defendant information form.
  • Click here for the plaintiff's guide sheet for an order of protection.
  • Click here for the defendant's guide sheet for an order of protection.

What is a Domestic Violence Crime?

  • Assault
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Aggravated Harassment
  • Aggravated Domestic Violence
  • Child or Vulnerable adult abuse
  • Criminal Damage
  • Criminal Trespass - first, second or third degree
  • Crimes Against Children
  • Custodial Interference
  • Disobeying a court order
  • Disorderly Conduct
  • Endangerment
  • Harassment
  • Kidnapping
  • Stalking
  • Surreptitious Videotaping
  • Threatening and Intimidating
  • Unlawful Imprisonment
  • Unlawful Use of Telephone

Serving an Order of Protection

If the Judge issues the Order of Protection, you must have the defendant served with the order before it will be effective. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months.

You may use a private process server or you may use the Glendale Police Department to serve the order. If you elect to use the Glendale Police Department, there is no service fee. If you use a private process server you are responsible for delivering the defendant's copy of the order to the process server and for paying a service fee and mileage.

IF YOU DO NOT PRESENTLY KNOW WHERE THE DEFENDANT IS, OR DO NOT HAVE AN ACCURATE ADDRESS, you should keep the pink copy of the order. As soon as you learn where the defendant is, you can contact a private process server or the police, so that they may attempt to serve the defendant.

IF THE DEFENDANT IS IN JAIL, you (the plaintiff) will need to advise court staff. You may need to hand carry the order to the jail and request that jail staff serve the defendant. If the defendant is in the process of being released, there may not be enough time to have service completed.
You have one year in which to have the defendant served. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months.

The defendant may request a hearing on the order one time during the twelve months in which it is in effect. A hearing will be held within 10 days from the date requested unless the court finds compelling reasons to continue the hearing. If you (the plaintiff) have been granted exclusive use of the residence the hearing will then be held within 5 days.

If during the period of time your order is in effect your circumstances change, you must appear in person to request a possible modification to your order.

If a petition for dissolution or separation of marriage or maternity/paternity action is filed, you must notify the court immediately and the proceedings will be transferred to superior court.

If the defendant violates the court order you should:


Glendale, AZ - Welcome
Glendale, AZ
Contact Us   |   Brochures   |   History of Glendale   |   How to Get Around Glendale   |   Links   |   Press Room   |   Policies
© 2015 City of Glendale, Arizona